OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenStepper - Phenostream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerickson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: OpenStepper - Phenostream Reply with quote

Iíve just come-up with an OpenServo spin-off that uses a geared stepper motor rather than a servo. Iím interested in any feedback the community may have to offer.
hyperkinetic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Bigger stepper? Reply with quote

What a cool idea!

Was just wondering if you're thinking and/or can be pursuaded, or maybe encouraged is more of the right word, to continue it on to a larger stepper. I'd like to see something than can rival some of the bad boy servos like the 5990TG ~ 400oz in range.
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

There are plans to create a large OpenServo that can drive a 3A stepper motor or 4A DC motor. Stay tuned!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would want to gear a stepper motor. Stepper motors provide more torque at lower speeds. A gear box provides more torque at lower speeds...did I just repeat myself?

On the flip side, motors provide thier max torque at max speed, so gearing them is desirable as you get the lower speed you desire but have the motor outputing it's max torque which translates to mega torque on the gear box output.

There was a discussion about this at cnczone.com...in the cnc world steppers are rarely geared but instead are directly coupled to the work.

In any case, I am all for openstepper. Now we have open source motor and stepper controllers...awesome! I could see using openstepper design on my cnc machine for closing the loop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: