OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenServo Version 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robotjay
co-admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotdrop wrote:
From reading this years posts I somehow have the impression that building your own OSV3 somehow does not pay off (financially), compared to the prices for the pre-assembled versions available from robotfuzz.

This is sort of true, but not for financial reasons. Toaster ovens are cheap. You can get solder paste for free in sample quantities. The thing that gets expensive is the time it takes to place the parts. Very few people appreciate just how long it takes to place all the components for 10 boards at a time. The savings you create by doing-it-yourself are quickly lost when you waste many painstaking hours placing parts. After years of headaches from hand placing these boards, it's my humble opinion that you're better off getting a part time job at McDonald's for a week and just paying RobotFuzz to assemble your boards for you.

If you're really hurting to save money, I suggest going back to the old 2.1 design, getting the boards made by BatchPCB, and just hand soldering everything. The older design uses fewer and larger parts, which makes hand soldering a pain-in-the-@$$, but still much easier than solder pasting and reflowing. You lose a lot of features compared to the v3 boards, but you gain tons of features compared to the stock servo electronics. Just my two cents. I'd be happy to offer any advice if you have questions. Talk to you soon.

-Jay
rotdrop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robotjay wrote:
rotdrop wrote:
From reading this years posts I somehow have the impression that building your own OSV3 somehow does not pay off (financially), compared to the prices for the pre-assembled versions available from robotfuzz.

This is sort of true, but not for financial reasons. Toaster ovens are cheap. You can get solder paste for free in sample quantities. The thing that gets expensive is the time it takes to place the parts. Very few people appreciate just how long it takes to place all the components for 10 boards at a time. [snip]
-Jay

Well, I know about that placement stuff. But even forgetting about that (jharvey about his toaster-oven:"total cost was a bit over $200 ...") and given that one has to order quite some excess PCB's to get competitive prices per unit, no to talk about the time it takes just to organize the PCB manufactoring it does not seem to pay off to try this kind of thing yourself (unless, of course, you regard it as a learning experience). This simply means, of course, that the 17 pound Robotfuzz charges for one OS board seem to be a fair price.

What surprised me most was that it is so hard just to get hold of those Hirose connectors. Ordering premanufactured stuff from Digikey is possible, but it appears that doing so takes roughly one third of the price of an Openservo board (not taking shipping costs and even taxes into account) I do not think, however, that using Molex connectors would
be cheaper. Ok, I'm talking about stuff discussed earlier in this thread, so I better stop now. Thanks for the feed-back.

-- Claus
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a chance to modify this tyco 1-1612163-3 (newark 96H9133) connector I got a while back. It will allow you to program and test an OSV3 prior to attaching the hirose connector. Here's a picture.

The pins pulled out easy, they are quite small. I pulled the first 4 from the edge, then I pulled 5 every other pin, then one more to let me know I had them all pulled out. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to solder up the harness and program my boards via OSIF interface, but I wanted to share my connector findings.

Enjoy
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple posts back there was talk about removing the BEMF components. If I removed those components on the boards I'm populating, will that bugger the software? I believe the default compiled software does not include the BEMF code is that correct? I believe I should have no problems by removing those components. I'm looking to remove them because U5 and U6 are small and a bit of a pain to solder in.
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only really remove U5 U6 and C10 in the default software.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: