OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Servo (or pan tilt module)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EEngineer88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Best Servo (or pan tilt module)? Reply with quote

Hello all,

To fill you in on my situation, I am working on an anti-missile defense system senior design project:

The project consists of a camera, micro controller and the physical interception system. Moving object detection will be done on the stable camera using image processing (image subtraction..etc). Information will then be sent through the micro controller to control either a stepper (in which I have to assemble to the 2 steppers to form the pan tilt module) or a ready-made pan tilt module such as:

[edit by jharvey]
http://www.servocity.com/html/spt50_sub-micro_pan___tilt.html
[/edit]

Here comes the challenge:

I need a pair of motors that are able to move extremely fast to keep up with the time budget of the image processing being done. The whole process (should be less than 10ms) which means I need to find motors that can rotate as fast as 0.001s/60degrees. However, the motors also need to also be as precise as 0.5 degrees/step as the ball that were throwing would be around 2-5m in front away from the camera.

I found some nice steppers from "Oriental Motors" as well as "JVL" and "Ezi-STEP ALL", However I couldn't not find a ready made pan/tilt servo module that is fast enough.

I will be mounting a laser or a small torch on the motors.

Your help would greatly be appreciated on what kind of motors are best for this situation of speed and precision.

Thank you
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what's your major? Where you from? USA/other?

Do you really need this to be that fast, wouldn't you need fine accuracy more than fast speed? Generally a threat would come from one direction, this reduces your required field of view considerably, and may allow for a much slower servo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: