OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSIF alternatives?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MosaicDave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: OSIF alternatives? Reply with quote

Hi All--

I need at least one OSIF (or ideally a couple of them) real soon, but I can't find a way to purchase them right now: It seems as though Barry Carter may be on holiday at the moment (http://www.openservo.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1070).

So I'm looking for other immediate options:

-- I've gathered in passing, that the OSIF, the various USB-Tiny programmer incarnations, and the Atmel-branded AVRISPmkII, are all somewhat similar functionally. (At least, it seems possible to use all of them to program a target via ISP.) Now, as it happens, I already possess an AVRISPmkII. So I'm wondering whether I can use my AVRISPmkII, as an I2C master in place of an OSIF. Has anyone done this? If I just recompile one of the test/demo applications that normally use an OSIF to control OpenServos, and change the Vendor / Product ID, might the AVRISPmkII work in place of the OSIF in this way? Obviously I'm expecting that there may be big parts of the picture that I'm missing. But, has anyone done anything like this?

-- Are there other USB-I2C converters that can be used easily with the OpenServo demo/configuration apps? As it happens, I also have a couple of the Devantech USB-I2C adpaters here; I know that these are quite slow as far as I2C goes, but can they be made to work in this way, even if just as an interim solution?

-- Alternatively, if anyone has an OSIF or two that they'd like to sell, I'd be extremely happy to purchase them directly. In that case please contact me privately so that I can arrange payment and shipping, either by private message through this phpBB system, or by following the links in my signature below to find the "contact@..." email address for Mosaic Engineering.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions;

--dave
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another option is to build the OSIF. I seem to recall he's posted the firmware, and may have posted the circuit board layout.
kbb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OSIF alternatives? Reply with quote

MosaicDave wrote:
-- I've gathered in passing, that the OSIF, the various USB-Tiny programmer incarnations, and the Atmel-branded AVRISPmkII, are all somewhat similar functionally. (At least, it seems possible to use all of them to program a target via ISP.) Now, as it happens, I already possess an AVRISPmkII. So I'm wondering whether I can use my AVRISPmkII, as an I2C master in place of an OSIF.

Nothing in the AVRISP mkII documentation suggests it is capable of acting as an I2C master; it is all about programming the target using ISP! Link to AVRISP mkII protocol documentation: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8015.pdf

MosaicDave wrote:
If I just recompile one of the test/demo applications that normally use an OSIF to control OpenServos, and change the Vendor / Product ID, might the AVRISPmkII work in place of the OSIF in this way?

No. At the very least the AVRISP mkII would need different firmware.

MosaicDave wrote:
Are there other USB-I2C converters that can be used easily with the OpenServo demo/configuration apps?

I am using this:

http://www.diolan.com/i2c/u2c12.html

It certainly works with the demo/test apps (if you grab the correct DLLs from CVS). It also works with TWIBootLoader. I do not think anything is “missing” in terms of functionality. As far as I am aware any odd behaviour seen with said apps will also be seen when using an OSIF. I may be wrong, as I do not have an OSIF. This is on Windows. Long ago I did try the Diolan on Linux and did manage to get it working there too.

MosaicDave wrote:
As it happens, I also have a couple of the Devantech USB-I2C adpaters here; I know that these are quite slow as far as I2C goes, but can they be made to work in this way, even if just as an interim solution?

I have one of those too. The short answer is yes, it is theoretically possible. However, you would need to produce a chunk of software to make it run seamlessly with the test/demo apps. That is what has been done for the Diolan. I have not done it for the Devantech USB-I2C adpaters as I did/do not have a need to do so.

I suspect you will have an OSIF before you could get hold a Diolan (which would likely be more expensive anyway) and before the software for the Devantech USB-I2C adapter could be produced (unless someone has already done it). An OSIF, purchased or built, would seem to be the most cost effective route (in terms of both time and money).

Last edited by kbb on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MosaicDave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the info on the Diolan adapter. I wasn't aware that there was a DLL available to use that device in this way, so that's good to know.

In any case, as it happens, Barry contacted me directly yesterday; apparently my emails had been going into limbo as spam. Everything seems to be straightened around now, and Barry's going to be shipping the boards to me shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: