OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sail Winch programmable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gradguy1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sail Winch programmable Reply with quote

Hello...

This subject has caused a lot of headaches and it's my hope somebody can tell me what to do and what can be done. I'm a grad student working on my masters thesis...I've got a paraglider that's actuated using two analog HS-785HB servos, works great... took me forever to find the right servo with right torque. Those are two major issues.

The problem is that because the sail winch servos are on a continuous loop pulley, setup I can not simply put these two servos on y harness because the servos ranges are beyond the continuous loop pulley's ranges when the opposite servo is actuated. IE the line attachment point just gets sucked into the pulley itself and stalls the servo. To circumvent this problem I have to set up each servo on a separate R/C channel and trim accordingly. This has proved to is a very tricky and difficult.

I would like to be able to get both on the same channel and adjust their ranges accordingly. I haven't seen any digital winch servos with the torque I require. This seems to be my last option.

Can this be done? If so how?
Any info would be very much appreciated.
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a OpenServo with OE. Full rotation, absolute position. Is that what you are looking for?
gradguy1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jharvey wrote:
Sounds like you want a OpenServo with OE. Full rotation, absolute position. Is that what you are looking for?

First thanks for the reply... As far as what I am looking for... I'm really new to all of this but " i think so"

The stock HS-785HB servos I have put out 3.5 rotations so I guess full rotation would be a yes. IE "all the rotation it comes with"

I'm not sure on absolute position... what does that mean?

What is "OE"? a software?

And again thanks for the reply
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OE is Open Encoder. It's a board that modifies the POT, replacing the wiper with a magnet and sensor chip. It allows full rotation and 12bit absolute position. So you know exactly where you are all the time.

A quick overview found here. http://openservo.com/ConstructionTutorial_MG995_open-encoder

Oh my, that page is dated. I need to get around to updating it. The shaft is now an SLA rapid prototyped part, so it's much easier to assemble, and you don't need to hack an alignment tool. Search the forums for OE and you should find more about it among the posts here.

I believe one potential problem you have with the 3.5 turn POT is accuracy, the PWM signal can only be so accurate, and you loose your find control over the larger turn ration. OE is more precise than most servo's and it's full rotation.
daltonfraser1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then now I understand OE is stand for Open Encoder..
Brodon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
This subject has caused a lot of headaches and it's my hope somebody can tell me what to do and what can be done. I'm a grad student working on my masters thesis...I've got a paraglider that's actuated using two analog HS-785HB servos, works great... took me forever to find the right servo with right torque...........
swera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running this model is switchercad and noticing different MOSFET's giving different results... mainly when trying to turn the fet off with 3.3V some can some wont and I cant seem to find what is the determining factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: