OpenServo.com Forum Index OpenServo.com
Discussion of the OpenServo project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenSource InterFace (V2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: OpenSource InterFace (V2) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am starting a new thread related to the new OpenServo InterFace USB to I2C interface. For any question or comments please post below.

New Features of the new OSIF V2

• Hardware I2C Support for up to 333khz speed
  • AVR programming support to allow for flashing any AVR/OpenServo with AVRDude
  • Windows and Linux drivers
  • Built in bootloader to allow for firmware upgrades over USB

The new bootloader allows you to flash the firmware of the OSIF so you can use the latest and greatest features, and also customise your OSIF. For example you could program it to run as a standalone robot controller, or program the extra GPIO to do whatever pleases you.

The AVR programming support is also very useful. If you don't have an AVR programmer like the STK500 or STK200 you can now use the OSIF to flash your AVR chips.

The good news is that the features are backward compatible with the V1 hardware, you just need to do a flash upgrade with an AVR programmer. I will fully document these new and exciting features over the coming days.

If you want to get one, please go to the RobotFUZZ webshop

Barry

Last edited by ginge on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:29 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robotjay
co-admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

This looks awesome! I am so happy to hear that you finally implemented hardware I2C. 333kHz is very fast, and certainly fast enough for bipedal robotics communications. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Nice work!

-Jay
bren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

Just wondering if I can update the openservo program with this board yet. A couple of my board went a bit wrong when I was trying out the software. Or can I just use my AVRISP.

Thanks for all your help, getting me up and running. I have a couple of servo's set up now 3 down 13 more to go Crying or Very sad .

Bren
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bren,

I am not sure I understand the question, but I will attempt anyway.

The working board you have should be the latest firmware, but without the bootloader. The bootloader is in beta test phase, and if you wish you can check it out of CVS and flash it. I also have some Windows and Linux tools to flash using the bootloader, but these are not in CVS.

If you check out the CVS you can compile the latest firmware and apply using your AVRISP.

Barry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for the confusion I will try and be a little more clear.

The programing board you sent me works fine, really happy with it. What I wanted to know is can I use your board to program my servos, the bootloader works on the servos as they turn up as 0xF7. So I just need to update the program side of things.

Thanks Bren
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bren,

I understand now, thanks for clarifying. Easy enough. When they show up as 0x7f Click the button marked "..." next the the grayed out "Flash" button. Select the firmware .hex file you want to flash, and then click on "Flash"

Make sure to only have one servo in the bootloader stage at a time.

Barry
bren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I will try on monday.

Bren
bren

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

Thanks for all your help over the last week I'm slowly getting up to speed and figuring out what is going on. I just tried to flash the device using you app but it failed. I followed your steps but it gives a "I2C Write reboot failed". I tried it on two different boards on that was only the bootloader thus at 0x7F and another that was working. Both failed.

Any ideas.

Bren
ginge
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bren,

There is a bug in the OpenServo v3 bootloader section that fails the reboot after the flash. All you need to do is manually power cycle the OpenServo. If it gets as far as telling you that it tried to reboot, it successfully did the firmware update.

This bug is fixed in CVS.

Barry
rotdrop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how to use avrdude with the osif? From reading the source I would assume that I have to hack avrdude to accept the OSIF as a USBTINY programmer (so I have simply to adjust the USB-ids), is that correct? Sorry, I have searched the wiki and the forum, but did not find information about it; maybe I was just blind.

Thx,

Claus
rotdrop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. Got it working. Now: how do I add this information to the wiki? Apparently, jharvey has already added some info here:

http://www.openservo.com/moin.cgi/OSIF_programmer?action=show

It seems that I am not allowed to change that (right?) I could add information about usbtiny and avrdude and a patch to avrdude which allows to use it with the OSIF.

Thx,

Claus
jharvey
co-admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you requested a wiki account? It might take ginge a little bit to get your account setup, but I believe you should be able to make changes. Just needs to be setup.

I'll look forward to your change.
rotdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have created a Wiki-account, however, the page is marked is "immutable". Strange enough, even the WikiSandBox page appears as immutable. I suppose I really have to wait a little bit.
blackbee045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to flash the device using you app but it failed. I followed your steps but it gives a "I2C Write reboot failed".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenServo.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: